Sunday, July 20, 2008

OUCH!

This morning, after Grammie and Sir left to head back to Colorado, Ethan and I thought it would be fun to go to the park before it got too hot (ha ha ha, it was already plenty hot). So, we took off for Trinity park. They have a big playground and we hadn't been there before.

First, we went by the Miniature Railroad station near the zoo--for a while now I've been wanting to take Ethan to ride the train from the zoo area over to Trinity park, get off and play and then ride back. Well, they don't open until 11:00, so we just drove on over to the park. Ethan was having fun when I realized it was really hot, and getting on towards 10:00 a.m. and I didn't sunscreen him.

So, we hopped back in the car, found a 7-11, got Ethan his first Slurpee (which he hated--me too actually, don't try Cherry Limeade Slurpees), and went back to the playground. Successfully sunscreened, Ethan was having a great time. Something was kind of buzzing around me, I thought it was a fly, and I just batted it away as I followed Ethan around the equipment. After about the third time I tried to get away from the "fly" I felt something fuzzy under my arm and then pain like I have only known one other time in my life. I must have been looking pretty crazy because the one other parent at the park, a dad, said, "Are you okay?" I told him I had just been stung, and he asked (almost panicked) "you're not allergic are you?" I didn't think so. By this point I have looked at the spot and can see the stinger in there. I pulled it out, while nearly fainting and tried to compose myself. It got pretty swollen, but was obviously gonna be okay.

I went over to help Ethan climb on something when my right foot started to sort of itch and then--OWWWW! I look down and fire ants are swarming all over my right foot. I lift Ethan off the ladder (he wasn't happy) and begin swatting at all the ants on my foot/leg.

I mean, SERIOUSLY? A bee and fire ants in a span of about 10 minutes? Luckily, I think I only have 4 or 5 fire ant bites on my foot. But the bee sting really hurts still. I better find some ice.

Ethan had a good time at least, no fire ants or bees for him and we did ride the train at the end of the morning. He's off to dreamland and I'm going to join him, because this was enough for me. (And I didn't even mention that he got up at 5:45 today!)

No comments: