Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dye Job?

Today at the zoo, Ethan and I were watching the gorilla when a woman, in her late 20s, early 30s, looked at Ethan and asked me, "Are these natural?" Now, Ethan's hair was curling up because it was really hot and humid, so at first I thought she meant the curls (which would have been weird enough), but then she said, "these highlights, are they natural?"

Are his highlights NATURAL????? What the heck did she think I did, take my 2-year-old son to the salon for a dye job?

I honestly can't get over the absurdity of her question. Had I not been so flabbergasted by it, I could have been a real smart a** when answering her, but as it was I just had to tell the truth: "Yes, they are natural."

I didn't see any children with her, so let's hope there wasn't a little baby girl waiting at home for her with a perm and red highlights in her pig tails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Max was first born, he had auburn hair with bright red highlights that shimmered. I got the same question countless times (the first time was when he was 4 weeks old!!!). I think people are just stupid and don't think past their words to the obvious implication.