Monday, May 26, 2008

Just One of Those Days

I've just had more than I can take today. At every turn today Ethan was telling me "NO!" or "Don't tell me what to do, Mommy." or just running away from me. He's usually not this difficult, and I usually have a lot more patience, but it was just one of those days. And it makes you feel like a failure.

Why is he acting like this? Why aren't I handling this better? And of course, in reality, the answer is: he's almost 3 and this is how it is going to be for a while, no matter what you do, and it is going to wear you out. But in the moment, you just wonder what you're doing wrong and you feel guilty for not thinking he's an absolute angel every second of the day.

Of course, as soon as he hugs you after a time out, or (finally) falls asleep for the night, you go back to thinking he's an angel and looking forward to the next day, the next smile, the next hug. It's a really good thing those things come up pretty frequently amid the tantrums and contrariness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two comments:

1. Thank the good Lord that you don't have another one yet! ;)

2. Time for a Mommy Time Out... massage or happy hour or something that will give you enough space to gain perspective once again.

Cris said...

Thanks, friend. Of course he redeemed himself tonight with absolute darling-ness.